Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Twice a Year Shopping

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

I had never heard of that concept until several days ago when I read about it on a blog that I have come to love.

My first thought was why?

What about all the freebies you can score with coupons? And if she means everything, food, toiletries, cleaning supplies, etc. where on earth would I store six months worth of all that? How much would you know to buy?

I completely dismissed it.

Then my mind kept thinking about it and totally rationalizing it.

The freebies..ok, well with the price of gas on the rise, how much am I really saving by having to go to different stores to get them?

Room? She did mean everything..food included. Well, the person behind the post lives in a smaller home than we do with only one less person. She just has learned to utilize every nook and cranny. Disclaimer: Her and her husband have a small homestead that includes cows for milk, making her own cheese, as well as other dairy products and meat.

Knowing how much to buy is tricky, but is doable. Prior to the shopping only twice a year, she started writing dates on the products she used to know how long that product would last. Doing this allowed her to calculate how much she needed for six months.

I soon became very intrigued...could we do it? Would it save us money?

I believe the answers are yes and yes.

Purchasing your meat in bulk from a butcher would take care of the meat (we just purchased a quarter of a cow, so I am anxious to see how long that will last our family.) If our garden pans out (and I learn to can like I plan on) then veggies & some fruit will be taken care of. Milk & eggs I would probably have to continue purchasing as needed for now anyway.

Even if it meant only uses coupons twice a year, I think that in the end I would still save money. How often do you run to the store to pick up this or that and when you get to the checkout you have added other things...things that are not really necessary? I know I am guilty.

So as I think about this, I become more intrigued. Maybe I see it as a challenge, maybe I see it as another money saving idea..either way, it is definitely something that I am considering....I am not completely there yet, maybe I need to start with once a month shopping and see how that goes.

Any thoughts?




Linking up to Lil' Suburban Homestead.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Penny,

    Thanks for your comment on my blog. After reading you were moving towards twice a year shopping, I had to come over and read your post! Intriguing idea for sure! I'll be interested to read how your once a month transition goes.

    Blessings,
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...